Hamza Shakeel Ph.D Back to member list
After completing my Masters in Electrical Engineering from University of Maryland,College Park (2010), I joined VT MEMS Lab. in Jan. 2011 as a PhD student. My research here is focused towards the fabrication of novel microgas chromatography columns for efficient separation by combining MEMS fabrication and nanotechnology.Read more at Hamza Shakeel's website.
Honors and Awards
- VT MEMS research on micro gas chromatography and the recent GC-on-Chip effort has been highlighted on NSF Website, VT Daily News Outlet, and several on-line science/technology news outlets.
- Hamza Shakeel successfully defended his PHD on microfluidic gas separation columns with nanotechnology-enabled stationary phases. Congratulations for an awesome job!!
- Hamza won third place for poster presentations at 30th Annual Graduate Research Symposium 2014 held at Virginia Tech.
- Hamza Shakeel and Masoud Agah, "High Density Semipacked Separation Columns with Optimized Atomic Layer Deposited Phases ," Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 242, April 2017, pp. 215-223.
- Hamza Shakeel and Masoud Agah, "Chip-based Gas Chromatography," in Analytical Separation Science, Volume 3, Verónica Pino Estévez, Jared L Anderson, Apryll Stalcup, and Alain Berthod, Ed., 1 ed., Germany: Wiley-VCH.
- Hamza Shakeel, Dong Wang, Randy Heflin, and Masoud Agah, "Improved self-assembled thiol stationary phases in microfluidic gas separation columns," Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 216, September 2015, pp. 349–357.
- Muhammad Akbar, Hamza Shakeel and Masoud Agah , " GC-on-Chip: Integrated Column and Photo Ionization Detector," Lab on a Chip, vol. 15, no. 7, April 2015, pp. 1748-1758.
- Muhammad Akbar, Hamza Shakeel and Masoud Agah, "An Integrated Chromatography Chip for Rapid Gas Separation and Detection," IEEE MEMS 2015, January 2015, Estoril, Portugal, pp. 771 - 774.
- Hamza Shakeel, Gary Rice, and Masoud Agah, "Semipacked columns with atomic layer deposited alumina as a stationary phase," Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 203, November 2014, pp. 641-646.
- Hamza Shakeel, Dong Wang, Randy Heflin, and Masoud Agah, "Width-modulated microfluidic columns for gas separations," IEEE Sensors Journal , vol. 14, no. 10, October 2014, pp. 3352 - 3357.
- Hamza Shakeel, Dong Wang, James R. Heflin, and Masoud Agah, "Width-modulated microgas chromatography separation columns with silica nanoparticles stationary phase," IEEE Sensors, November 2013, Baltimore,MD, pp. 8-11.
- Dong Wang*, Hamza Shakeel*, John Lovette, Gary W. Rice, James R. Heflin, and Masoud Agah (*equal contribution), "Highly Stable Surface Functionalization of Microgas Chromatography Columns Using Layer-by-Layer Self-Assembly of Silica Nanoparticles," Analytical Chemistry, vol. 85, September 2013, pp. 8135-8141.
- M. Akbar, D. Wang, H. Shakeel, J.R Heflin and M. Agah, "A MEMS-Enabled Integrated MicroGC Platform for On-Site Monitoring of Water Organic Compounds," Transducers 2013, June 2013, Barcelona, SPAIN, pp. 2759-2762.
- Hamza Shakeel and Masoud Agah, "Self-Patterned Gold Electroplated Multicapillary Gas Separation Columns with MPG Stationary Phases," IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems , vol. 22, no. 1, February 2013, pp. 62-70.
- Hamza Shakeel and Masoud Agah, "Semipacked Separation Columns with Monolayer Protected Gold Stationary Phases for Microgas Chromatography," IEEE Sensors 2012, October 2012, Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 2007-2010.
- D. Wang*, H. Shakeel*, R. Montazami, G. W. Rice, J. R. Heflin and M. Agah (*equal contribution), "Highly Stable Surface Functionalization of High-Aspect-Ratio Micro Gas Chromatography Columns Using Layer-by-layer Self-assembly of SiO2 Nanoparticles," Solid-State Sensors, Actuators, and Microsystems Workshop (Hilton Head '12), June 2012, Hilton Head Island, SC, pp. 201-204.
- H. Shakeel, G. W. Rice, and M. Agah, "First Reconfigurable MEMS Separation Columns for Micro Gas Chromatography," IEEE MEMS 2012, January 2012, Paris, France, pp. 823-826.
- H. Shakeel, and M. Agah, "High-Performance Multicapillary Gas Separation Columns with MPG Stationary Phases," IEEE Sensors, October 2011, Limerick, Ireland, pp. 1909-1912.